|February 22 - 23, 2024
|2:00 pm - 4:30 pm
Take your knowledge beyond the essentials and delve into the key components of secondary-level credentials. You can better assist international students when you have a deeper knowledge of their country’s educational credentials. This workshop provides guided practice of analyzing credentials with expert trainers so that you can feel confident in applying the skills in your institutional context.
- Apply basic methodology and benchmarking to secondary-level credentials
- Evaluate foreign units and grades from diverse upper-secondary education programs
- Calculate Grade Point Average
- Distinguish credentials corresponding to advanced placement
- Recognize multiple higher-education examining boards
- Introduction and Overview
- Determination of level
- Secondary school graduation requirements
- 2+ years secondary programs
- External Exams
- Advanced Placement
- International Baccalaureate (IB)
What Participants Are Saying
- “The curriculum was covered fundamentally and a very good presentation of Carnegie units was given.” - NAFSA Annual Conference participant
- “Examples to practice on in the workshop where very helpful. The workbook was very very helpful and I am keeping by me desk as one of many references. Very strong presenters who are experts in the field of credential evaluation.” - NAFSA Annual Conference participant
- “I learned from the workshop and now have discernment I did not possess before. I have a greater appreciation for the evaluations completed. There are so many variables and considerations that weigh in the balance between time and quality of completion. I felt somewhat smug knowing about my own backyard and now feel very small as I am now aware of the global criteria.” - NAFSA Annual Conference participant
Designed for admissions personnel processing freshman admissions having three or fewer years of experience in the field of foreign academic credential evaluation.
Build Your Competencies
NAFSA International Education Professional Competencies 2.0 outline the abilities, skills, and foundational knowledge necessary for successful international educators. Learn more about NAFSA Competencies 2.0.
This learning content targets the competency category of Recruitment, Enrollment, and Advising.