|March 27 - 29, 2024
|2:00 pm - 5:00 pm
Understanding and applying federal regulations is one important part of advising, but there is so much more to becoming an expert adviser. Take your advising to the next level by gaining professional skills in the art of adaptive advising. Learn how to use six different approaches to better assist the student or scholar in front of you. Ample time is provided to explore and practice the adaptive approaches so that you can quickly implement the new skill set in your organization. This workshop is a great complement to the NAFSA F-1 and J-1 regulatory trainings.
- Build strategies to fulfill the many roles of the international adviser.
- Apply those strategies to specific situations where intercultural communication skills, regulatory requirements, and analytical skills all come into play.
- Work efficiently, effectively, and collaboratively to support student and scholar adjustment needs.
- Intercultural sensitivity
- Supporting adjustment
- Mapping relationships
- Researching solutions and opportunities
- Communicating solutions
- Balancing multiple interests
- Handling problems and planning for prevention
- Prioritizing tasks
- Managing work load
What Participants Are Saying
- "The training materials and the trainer were both very good. The materials will be a great tool to use when training new international student advisors." - On-site workshop participant
- "The flow and mix of theory and practice was great in this workshop." - Annual Conference workshop participant
- "The opportunity to network is fantastic. The accumulated knowledge at the table and in the room is the most valuable takeaway." - Annual Conference workshop participant
- "I feel like it was valuable and provided tools and ideas that will help me with my work. I am not an advisor yet, but once I become one I will feel more prepared!" - Annual Conference workshop participant
International student and scholar advisers with 0-5 years in the field or ISSS managers seeking ideas for training and supporting new staff.
Build Your Competencies
NAFSA International Education Professional Competencies 2.0 outline the abilities, skills, and foundational knowledge necessary for successful international educators. Learn more about NAFSA Competencies 2.0.
This learning content targets the competency categories of Program Development and Delivery, Recruitment, Enrollment, and Advising, and Relationship Cultivation.